Skip to main content

And Yet the Life Goes On


And Yet the Life Goes On

I have been meaning to write for the last couple of months, but I never got the chance to do so. there is a lot of stuff I want to write about and I honestly do not know where to begin. Nevertheless, I am going to have to begin from somewhere, so here it is:

In the last five months while I was working for Save the Children International, a lot of things happened. I got to meet with a lot of good and useful people; I had so much fun working with the FSL team in Andkhoy District of Faryab Province; I found so many good friends; I earned some money and I saved some for my higher education; I fell in love with a beautiful girl and got my heart broken by her; I traveled a lot and got to visit places that I had never before; I learned a lot of things from my supervisor M Alem Abrar, the kindest and the sweetest person in the world and at the end, I left it before even my contract was over. 

Now I am with International Medical Corps in a new city far away from home. I joined them just yesterday as a MEAL Officer. There were a lot of reasons why I left SCI. I am going to write about all of them here. First of all, SCI was great but there were very few learning opportunities for me. There I had next to nothing responsibilities. Our MEAL coordinator, Abrar Sahib was the one doing all the technical work and writing all the reports. I on the other hand was supposed to follow the implementing team in the field and write a very short quality monitoring report about their activities. It was super fun, I am not going to lie, but after a couple of months I realized that I am not learning anything new, it is just the same routine. That is when I started applying for other jobs. Now, here in IMC, I am the MEAL focal point of the province. I report directly to the head of the office in the province. I go to the field only once a week and the rest I am in the office, writing reports and analyzing data. 

Secondly, it had become intolerable for me to be in the same room with the girl who broke my heart so viciously. The girl who crashed my damaged heart was actually one of my working colleagues in SCI. She was very cute, I still can't stop thinking about her. Whenever she came to the office, it made me terribly uncomfortable. Every single day I wanted to escape somewhere so that I won't be able to see her again. Her simple and gorgeous face was a reminder of what I could not have. It seemed that she also felt awkward around me. And that was the last thing I wanted her to feel about me. Since she was currently studying, she can't leave the city and abandon the office, I thought maybe I should be the one leaving. My brain was forcing me to get the hell out, while my heart was urging me to stay and take one last glimpse of her pretty face. 

Thirdly, my contract was going to end in the next two months with SCI and the extension of the project was officially denied by the donor. I knew there was no point hiding from reality. most of my coworkers from the same project were searching for new jobs just the way I was. All these INGOs offer everything but job security. therefore, I did not wait for SCI to ask me to leave, instead, I left it voluntarily. To be honest it felt really good resigning from Save the Children International, an organization that so many of my friends would die to get an opportunity to join. 

Last but not the least, the computer which I received in SCI was terrible. Awfully slow. It used to hang all the time. I had never expected to get such a slow computer from SCI. I expected better from it. I wanted to take a lot of online classes and do some amazing stuff with my computer, but the damn thing hang every time I opened a word document. I feel terrible for whoever receives that abomination after me. It might sound pity for me to leave SCI for just a computer, however, believe me, 9 out of the 10 tasks of my job description could be done only using a computer. 

Well, luckily, I received an awesome computer from IMC. It is super fast and beautiful, just the way I wanted it. I am sure things are not going to be that easy for me in the next couple of days. There are a lot of challenges for me to overcome. Things which these people expect me to do are nothing similar to my old job. Honestly, I have got no clue about the things which I am supposed to do here. Even though I was a MEA Officer for the last five months, I was not doing a MEAL Officer's job per se. It was more like supporting the MEAL coordinator in the form of field visits. 

I will try to keep you up to date about my adventures or misadventures in this strange city. I will try to keep writing. 

For now, take care. It is around four o'clock and I gotta go look for a house or block for myself. 

.

.

Please do not try to misinterpret anything. These are just personal experiences. I do not mean to judge anything or anyone here. 

.

.

Take care!



Comments

Post a Comment

Open to suggestions!

Popular posts from this blog

Last days with International Medical Corps-Afghanistan

 Last days with International Medical Corps-Afghanistan  So, these are my last days with IMC-Afghanistan. I joined IMC, at the beginning of July-2022. And I had intended to stay, at least for a year. However, turns out I was not going to stay in Sar-e-Pul city for long; fate had something different for me. I was able to be accepted into World Vision International-Afghanistan, as a Monitoring and Evaluation Officer in my own home city. The written test for the position was, like two months ago. I don't know why they took so much time to conduct their interviews. Since I was not able to attend the interview in person, I requested them if they would take my interview through Skype, and luckily they agreed. My interview went well, you know, like not really well, but well enough. It seemed that my co-applicants' were not as good as mine. A day after my interview I received a call from WVI-Afghanistan country office in Herat city. The guy, who introduced himself as HR Officer, told m

I am Still Here

  Frankly, I never thought I would be in Afghanistan even after three years of college graduation. By now I thought I'd be somewhere far off but sadly I am still here. I am not sure when I'd be able to leave. I am afraid if I stayed here for long I might not wanna leave. Plus I am getting older by each year. There is the matter of marriage also. I am not sure how much longer I can keep postponing it. I am not worried so much about the marriage though, still, it seems like I should start thinking about it. But then again marriage can wait but education can't.  I am thinking of starting my higher education online. With the Taliban and their unpredictable rules, getting a passport to travel abroad is not guaranteed. So online education is my only way forward. I am thinking of settling down here; if only I could find the right person. Marriage is a very tricky business, there is no margin for error. For now, I can start my online studies and after a year or two when I am close