Skip to main content

Lost in this Strange World



when I was a kid I thought I will figure out everything when I am younger, but apparently, that was just a childish dream of mine. I had thought by this age I would understand most things and would be able to make decisions about my life so easily. It is just so hard to make peace with the fact that I will never figure out everything and that I will always have doubts. I don't want to sound ungrateful because I really am not. I understand that the life I am living right now is a dream for thousands of young people in my homeland. However, I am not happy. I just don't know why?

The reason for my unhappiness might be the people around me most of whom are impossible to understand. I work in a very prestigious international humanitarian organization but I don't like it here as much as I should. most of the people working here are insanely stupid and unbelievably arrogant. there is no teamwork. Every single department acts like an independent republic. No spirit of collaboration or cooperation. They just try to make an obstacle for someone whenever they can. I wish people were more detail-oriented and more supportive and most of all I wish that there was a culture of reward and punishment here. There are things that need to be changed and when I realize that I do not have the authority or the ability to bring those changes, it makes me unhappy. 

The reason for my unhappiness might be the instability of my job. Yes I have this great job but I do not know how long I would keep having it. With the Taliban and their ever-changing and stricter rules, it is hard to see my job on the horizon or any job for that matter. With the instability of the government and its biased towards international organizations, I am not sure I would be able to keep my job for long. Plus, there are not many opportunities for me to seize either. This is another reason for despair. 

There is also the matter of my higher education. By this time in my life, I wanted to have my master's degree but unfortunately, so far I have not even started it. Since the collapse of government 2 years ago I have been trying to get a passport but this seems as impossible as my leaving the country. Without a proper passport, I am not able to apply to any colleges for a master's degree. Earlier money was the biggest obstacle but now, fortunately, I have been able to save enough to travel abroad to pursue my dream. Sometimes I think I am rushing and that I will eventually get what I want but then again I think about how short our lives are and how much I have already lost, this makes me more nervous than anything else. I hope I get my passport as fast as possible so that I could start my preparations for leaving the country. I know getting Europe's visa is not a simple thing but I think I have enough money to pull this off. 

There is something more troubling to add on top of the reasons for my unhappiness. I still have not found "the one". All my friends are getting married or having kids while I still continue to live a bachelor's life. I wish I was living abroad so that I could date girls and have fun, but here those things are literally an impossibility. Sometimes when I am alone, I wonder about my future life partner, I mean who would be my destiny. Frankly, I don't think I will ever get married. I know myself well enough to understand that I am not a husband material and I most certainly do not have the potential to be a dad. I don't want to screw up my kid like my father did me. I am better off alone with myself living my uncertain life without any responsibilities whatsoever. Although sometimes I do wish of having someone in life, sometimes when I am lonely, in need of a companion. But then again those feelings do not last for long. 

Uncertainty was the one thing I hated the most when I was a kid but growing up I realized life is anything but certain. I hope someday I'll be able to make peace with this bitter fact. 

 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And Yet the Life Goes On

And Yet the Life Goes On I have been meaning to write for the last couple of months, but I never got the chance to do so. there is a lot of stuff I want to write about and I honestly do not know where to begin. Nevertheless, I am going to have to begin from somewhere, so here it is: In the last five months while I was working for Save the Children International, a lot of things happened. I got to meet with a lot of good and useful people; I had so much fun working with the FSL team in Andkhoy District of Faryab Province; I found so many good friends; I earned some money and I saved some for my higher education; I fell in love with a beautiful girl and got my heart broken by her; I traveled a lot and got to visit places that I had never before; I learned a lot of things from my supervisor M Alem Abrar, the kindest and the sweetest person in the world and at the end, I left it before even my contract was over.  Now I am with International Medical Corps in a new city far away from home. I

Last days with International Medical Corps-Afghanistan

 Last days with International Medical Corps-Afghanistan  So, these are my last days with IMC-Afghanistan. I joined IMC, at the beginning of July-2022. And I had intended to stay, at least for a year. However, turns out I was not going to stay in Sar-e-Pul city for long; fate had something different for me. I was able to be accepted into World Vision International-Afghanistan, as a Monitoring and Evaluation Officer in my own home city. The written test for the position was, like two months ago. I don't know why they took so much time to conduct their interviews. Since I was not able to attend the interview in person, I requested them if they would take my interview through Skype, and luckily they agreed. My interview went well, you know, like not really well, but well enough. It seemed that my co-applicants' were not as good as mine. A day after my interview I received a call from WVI-Afghanistan country office in Herat city. The guy, who introduced himself as HR Officer, told m

I am Still Here

  Frankly, I never thought I would be in Afghanistan even after three years of college graduation. By now I thought I'd be somewhere far off but sadly I am still here. I am not sure when I'd be able to leave. I am afraid if I stayed here for long I might not wanna leave. Plus I am getting older by each year. There is the matter of marriage also. I am not sure how much longer I can keep postponing it. I am not worried so much about the marriage though, still, it seems like I should start thinking about it. But then again marriage can wait but education can't.  I am thinking of starting my higher education online. With the Taliban and their unpredictable rules, getting a passport to travel abroad is not guaranteed. So online education is my only way forward. I am thinking of settling down here; if only I could find the right person. Marriage is a very tricky business, there is no margin for error. For now, I can start my online studies and after a year or two when I am close