Skip to main content

And it is yet to happen…


And it is yet to happen…

 I want to write here a little bit about the events of the last couple of days. So turns out among three reference letters which were supposed to be sent to Save the Children International by the people who I had worked with previously, one had not been sent. It was from my school principal Abdul Rahim Timur. I have been waiting to receive a call from them and yet the reference check wasn’t finished for them to call me or proceed with the next step of their recruitment process.

  After a lot of patience, I got really restless, so I texted the HR guy from SCI on Monday, two days ago, and asked him if everything was alright regarding my application, which was my way of saying what the heck happened dude, you are killing me here, I have been dying to receive a call from you and yet you never called. I was not expecting his response, not even remotely. He sent me this message, “Mr. Timur has not replied yet”. DARN! I was really furious at the time, I called him right away but his phone was off. I called Raziq, and asked him where the principal could be right now. He told me that he has traveled to Iran. The one time that I needed him, the guy was not even in the country.

 I was really angry with him but this was not the time to be angry, I had to do something. I knew that he would not do this in purpose. He must have faced some difficulty in sending that email. I left him a voice message in his WhatsApp, and asked him to please send that reference letter back to SCI and if he is busy or something, he could send me the password of his email address, and I would send the email myself. Even though I asked him for his password, I was not expecting him to share it with me. But he did. I was super impressed by his gesture. I thought to myself, maybe after all these years, I still am one of his favorite students.

 I logged in to his email address and replied to SCI’s email myself. Apparently he had tried to send that email, but he had failed and instead all the emails had gone to drafts. He had actually tried it three times. He did not have to do that but he did it nonetheless. I am going to be honest here, after his behavior and grand gesture, my respect has only increased for the guy.

 After I replied to their email, I texted the HR guy just to be sure. He texted me back saying that he has the received the email. I was relieved but I still was and am restless about this whole thing. I just don’t know when those people will call me and ask me for signing my first ever contract with SCI. I am looking forward to that moment with a sheer excitement. I will have remembered that day for a very long time.

  Two days have passed, since the last of reference letter was sent to them but they still have not contacted me. It is taking longer than I had expected. I thought this Saturday would be my last day of teaching at school. However, that did not turn out to be the case. Now I am thinking, that the next Saturday would not be either. These people are taking an awful lot of time in calling me.

 I should have gone to MAAO’s survey. If I had gone there, by now, I would have earned at least 10000 Afs ($100 as of this moment). Which would have been a huge amount of money, considering the situation which I have come to find myself in. DARN!! Another missed opportunity. I was hesitant to leave the School for the survey, but now that I think about it, I might have made the wrong choice there. This teaching thing seems to require more patience than I could possibly manage to show. Furthermore, this job is virtually for free, while the survey would have been somehow lucrative for me. There is no point in regretting now. We all live with the consequences of the choices we make.

Let’s talk about school for a bit

 I have been enjoying my classes with the students of 8 Grade. They are a little younger, so they do not seem to have the annoying habits of kids anymore. They are rather mature for their age. There are a total number of nine students in their class. I know it is not much but I am happy with it, since I am not actually getting paid to teach them.

 Farkhunda is the best and most hard working student so far. She is really smart and seems to have a real gift. I heard that her mother is a college professor, considering how fiercely competent she is, I think that must be true. It is not just that she is great with her studies, it is also the fact that she is extremely humble about it, which makes it kind of endearing.

 My other favorite student is Anosha, she seems a little younger than her peers. However, she definitely appears to have outpaced many of them. She is quiet most of the time and talks only when it is necessary. Her writing needs improvement and as far as I can witness, she is adamant to work as much as it is necessary to make it better. I am sure she is going to build some great life for herself someday. She might even be able to help many people in the process. I completely believe in her potential and her dedication to put that potential in a good use someday. I am looking forward to witness her great achievements in life. I wish there was a way that I could be able to stay in contact with the best of my students, but perhaps that might not be plausible given the society we are living in.

 I think it would be refreshing to write about someone who is not great with lessons and yet has attracted my attention. It is Nilab. Her father is a doctor, I think. Because she sometimes mentions her father’s English medical books. She might not realize this herself, but I do believe that she possesses a great potential, just like Farkhunda and Anusha. However, she acts careless and seems to be completely oblivious to the outside world. I always find some kind of innocence the way she carries herself in the class. It is like she knows, she is not good with her studies, and yet she seems to have made peace with it. There is another thing that I like about her. It is the fact that her hand writing is the best in the whole class. It is neat and elegant. I always encourage my other students to try to match their handwritings with Nilab’s. It is very strange for me, I wish and wish not at the same time that she would take life a little bit more seriously. I like the fact that she does not care about other people’s opinions. She seems to be completely happy the way she is and does not want to try to change anything about herself.

 I also have an annoying students, who never stops complaining about things. I do not want to sound like a bad teacher but she really is annoying. With her sometimes my patience wears thin. I never try to argue with her. If she said that the lesson is too much and she would not be able to memorize them all, I’d say, no problem, memorize as much as you can but just shut up and stop winning. I’d say the last part in my mind, obviously. I am not going to try to justify her laziness here. I genuinely think that her future is messed up. And she is not going to accomplish mush in her life, unless until she changes herself, of course.

I almost forgot. There is also Dinara, my new students. I think, she started joining my class just last week. She is also terrible in the class. But she is really good at making excuses for her lack of preparation. She seems to be a little elder than everyone else in the class and yet she is still a little kid, innocent and simple. Sometimes her behavior makes me laugh while I am teaching. She utters some childish stuff sometimes which would make anyone smile. She is trying to get better but her progress seems to be very slow. However, I am optimist about the fact that one day she will be among the best students in the class. I am not going to stick around for long to witness that though, but I wish her all the best.

I think it is enough for today. I will write about the 7th Grade some other day. Honestly, there is not much to write about them. They are kind of a disappointment; virtually every one of them. I do not seem to be able to enjoy their class anymore. Since I am not going to be their teacher for long, so it is probably not worth to write about them and ruin my mood. I should get back to reading my book “A Man Called Ove”. I have to finish it this weekend.

Till the next time,

Peace out,

Take care!

Faramarz Majedi

(If you are reading my posts, please leave a comment!!! I just want to make sure that someone somewhere is reading my posts.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And Yet the Life Goes On

And Yet the Life Goes On I have been meaning to write for the last couple of months, but I never got the chance to do so. there is a lot of stuff I want to write about and I honestly do not know where to begin. Nevertheless, I am going to have to begin from somewhere, so here it is: In the last five months while I was working for Save the Children International, a lot of things happened. I got to meet with a lot of good and useful people; I had so much fun working with the FSL team in Andkhoy District of Faryab Province; I found so many good friends; I earned some money and I saved some for my higher education; I fell in love with a beautiful girl and got my heart broken by her; I traveled a lot and got to visit places that I had never before; I learned a lot of things from my supervisor M Alem Abrar, the kindest and the sweetest person in the world and at the end, I left it before even my contract was over.  Now I am with International Medical Corps in a new city far away from home. I

Last days with International Medical Corps-Afghanistan

 Last days with International Medical Corps-Afghanistan  So, these are my last days with IMC-Afghanistan. I joined IMC, at the beginning of July-2022. And I had intended to stay, at least for a year. However, turns out I was not going to stay in Sar-e-Pul city for long; fate had something different for me. I was able to be accepted into World Vision International-Afghanistan, as a Monitoring and Evaluation Officer in my own home city. The written test for the position was, like two months ago. I don't know why they took so much time to conduct their interviews. Since I was not able to attend the interview in person, I requested them if they would take my interview through Skype, and luckily they agreed. My interview went well, you know, like not really well, but well enough. It seemed that my co-applicants' were not as good as mine. A day after my interview I received a call from WVI-Afghanistan country office in Herat city. The guy, who introduced himself as HR Officer, told m

I am Still Here

  Frankly, I never thought I would be in Afghanistan even after three years of college graduation. By now I thought I'd be somewhere far off but sadly I am still here. I am not sure when I'd be able to leave. I am afraid if I stayed here for long I might not wanna leave. Plus I am getting older by each year. There is the matter of marriage also. I am not sure how much longer I can keep postponing it. I am not worried so much about the marriage though, still, it seems like I should start thinking about it. But then again marriage can wait but education can't.  I am thinking of starting my higher education online. With the Taliban and their unpredictable rules, getting a passport to travel abroad is not guaranteed. So online education is my only way forward. I am thinking of settling down here; if only I could find the right person. Marriage is a very tricky business, there is no margin for error. For now, I can start my online studies and after a year or two when I am close