Skip to main content

Atomic Habits by James clear

 Atomic Habits by James clear 

 

So this book might be first one from James clear which I read. For a young writer it was quite impressive. I am glad that I read this book. For a very long time I had wanted to read this book but I never had it to read it; of course until I bought a kindle. I think it's an easy read. very simple words but very effective methods. Throughout the book he talks about different strategies about making atomic habits. One of his main ideas was that we have to make good habits a part of our identity. So that it can last as long as we live. and so many other strategies. 

Here are some beautiful and wise quotes from this book. 


# "Every actions you take is a vote for the type of person you wish to become. No single instance will transform your beliefs, but as the votes build up, so does the evidence of your new identity."


# "You do not rise to the level of your goals. You fall to the level of your systems."


# "You should be far more concerned with your current trajectory than with your current results."


# "When you fall in love with the process rather than the product, you don't have to wait to give yourself permission to be happy. You can be satisfied anytime  your system is running."


# "When nothing seems to help, I go and look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and fist blow it will split in two, and I know it was not that last blow that did it__but all that had gone before."


# "All big things come from small beginnings. The seed of every habit is a single, tiny decision. But as that decision is repeated, a habit sprouts and grows stronger. Roots entrench themselves and branches grow. The task of breaking a bad habit like a uprooting a powerful oak within us. And the task of building a good habit is like cultivating a delicate flower one day at a time."


# "The more pride you in a particular aspects of your identity, the more motivated you will be to maintain the habits associated with if. If you're proud of how your hair looks, you'll develop all sorts of habits to care for and maintain it. If you're proud of the size of your biceps, you'll make sure you never skip an upper body workout. If you're proud of the scarves you knit, you'll be more likely to spend hours knitting each week. Once your pride get involved, you'll fight tooth and nail to maintain your habits."


# "The purpose of setting goals is to win the game. The purpose of building systems is to continue playing the game. True long term thinking is goal less thinking. It's not about any single accomplishment. It is about the cycle of endless refinement and continuous improvement. Ultimately, it is your commitment to the process that will determine your progress."


# "Some people spend their entire live waiting for the time to be right to make an improvement."


# "The ultimate form of intrinsic motivation is when a habit becomes part of your identity. It's one thing to say I'm the type of person who wants this. It's something very different to say I'm the type of person who is this."


# "When scientists analyze people who appear to have tremendous self control, it turns those individuals aren't all that different from those who are struggling. Instead "disciplined" people are better at structuring their lives in a way that does not require heroic willpower and self control. In other words, they spend less time in tempting situations."


# "The greatest threat to success is not failure but boredom. We get bored with habits because they stop delighting us. The outcome becomes expected. And as our habits become ordinary, we start derailing our progress to seek novelty."


# "It is easy to get bogged down trying to ding the optimal plan for change: the faster way to lose weight, the best program to build muscle, the perfect idea for a side hustle. We are so focused on figuring out the best approach that we never get around the taking action. As Voltair once wrote, "The best is the enemy of the good"."


# "Good habits can make rational sense, but if they conflict with your identity, you will fail to put them into action."


# "With outcome based habits, the focus is n what you want to achieve. With identity based habits, the focus is on who you wish to become."


# "In fact, the tendency for one purchase to lead to another one has a name; the Diderot Effect. The Diderot Effect that obtaining a new possession often creates a spiral of consumption."


# "Your actions reveal how badly you want something. If you keep saying something is a priority but you never act on it, then you don't really want it. It's time to have an honest conversation with yourself. Your actions reveal your true motivations."


# "True long-term thinking is goal-less thinking. It's not about any single accomplishment. It is about the cycle of endless refinement and continuous improvement. Ultimately, it is your commitment to the process that will determine your progress."


# "Over the long run, however, the real reason you fail to stick with habits is that your self-image gets in the way. This is why you can't get to attached to one version of your identity. Progress requires unlearning. Becoming the best version of yourself requires you to continuously edit your beliefs, and to upgrade and expand your identity 


Enjoy the book

stay safe 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And Yet the Life Goes On

And Yet the Life Goes On I have been meaning to write for the last couple of months, but I never got the chance to do so. there is a lot of stuff I want to write about and I honestly do not know where to begin. Nevertheless, I am going to have to begin from somewhere, so here it is: In the last five months while I was working for Save the Children International, a lot of things happened. I got to meet with a lot of good and useful people; I had so much fun working with the FSL team in Andkhoy District of Faryab Province; I found so many good friends; I earned some money and I saved some for my higher education; I fell in love with a beautiful girl and got my heart broken by her; I traveled a lot and got to visit places that I had never before; I learned a lot of things from my supervisor M Alem Abrar, the kindest and the sweetest person in the world and at the end, I left it before even my contract was over.  Now I am with International Medical Corps in a new city far away from home. I

Last days with International Medical Corps-Afghanistan

 Last days with International Medical Corps-Afghanistan  So, these are my last days with IMC-Afghanistan. I joined IMC, at the beginning of July-2022. And I had intended to stay, at least for a year. However, turns out I was not going to stay in Sar-e-Pul city for long; fate had something different for me. I was able to be accepted into World Vision International-Afghanistan, as a Monitoring and Evaluation Officer in my own home city. The written test for the position was, like two months ago. I don't know why they took so much time to conduct their interviews. Since I was not able to attend the interview in person, I requested them if they would take my interview through Skype, and luckily they agreed. My interview went well, you know, like not really well, but well enough. It seemed that my co-applicants' were not as good as mine. A day after my interview I received a call from WVI-Afghanistan country office in Herat city. The guy, who introduced himself as HR Officer, told m

I am Still Here

  Frankly, I never thought I would be in Afghanistan even after three years of college graduation. By now I thought I'd be somewhere far off but sadly I am still here. I am not sure when I'd be able to leave. I am afraid if I stayed here for long I might not wanna leave. Plus I am getting older by each year. There is the matter of marriage also. I am not sure how much longer I can keep postponing it. I am not worried so much about the marriage though, still, it seems like I should start thinking about it. But then again marriage can wait but education can't.  I am thinking of starting my higher education online. With the Taliban and their unpredictable rules, getting a passport to travel abroad is not guaranteed. So online education is my only way forward. I am thinking of settling down here; if only I could find the right person. Marriage is a very tricky business, there is no margin for error. For now, I can start my online studies and after a year or two when I am close