Skip to main content

LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT by PREETI SHENOY


It is an amazing novel by Indian female novelist Preeti Shenoy, this novel was in the best selling of lists of both Hindustan times and Times of India in year 2011.

     The book is about a young eighteen years girl Ankita during 1990s in india, who is soon about to join the college, she is from kerla south India and she wants to go to new delhi and join IIT like her school friend abhi, but her parents are against her decision and want her to pursue her college in Kerla itself. So she has no other option than to accept her parents decision and join some good college in her own city. She belongs to an Indian strict and traditional family back in 1990s which talking to boys was not such a good thing to do for girls, and also no phone or internet were available at that times only land line phones were in some houses, ankita's parents also owned a land line telephone. She wants to keep in contact with her friend abhi but talking to telephone is a challenging task to do in front of her parents so she and abhi manage to stay in touch by their letters, keep writing and sending each other letters about every single events that occurs in their daily.

      According to her parents will she joins will she joins a college in her city, in college she preforms really well and truly thrives, during college she gets a lot of achievements, she becomes art secretary of her college in second year itself, wins the biggest inter college competition and gets to  and and  MBA at of india's best Management college.

During those inter college festivals which she is a member in organizing comity, she meets a guy from another college called vibhav. He is also a member of organizing comity from his own college and during inter college festivals they work together days and even late nights, vibhav falls in love with her during their bachelor journey and confesses his love towards her by writing a crazy love letter with his blood. Ankita also likes him but she feels like betraying and cheating abhi. later they get a litter closer and kiss each other one time, on the heat of the events sending letters to abhi decreases and the affection which they used to have does't exist anymore.

       College is bout to finish, so ankita tries to get admission in MBA and for that she studies really hard and successfully passes the admission exam, and gets admission in IIM banglore but unlike her vibhav  could not get to IIM, instead he gets to an average indian college for his master's. vibhav tries to convince her to stay and pursue MBA together in this very city but she denies , in the same time her father gets promoted in his office and shifts to mumbai, it is  an amazing moment  for the whole family to settle in mumbai. Vibhav calls anikta and meets her and begs her to not to leave and it seems to nothing can turn ankita from her decision of pursuing her goal. in the same night vibha dies in drunken state and she thinks she is responsible for her death, this thing effects her to a very depth which later brings a world to sorrow and disappointment to her.

       So they settled to Mumbai and ankita performs really well during early days of college, she finds some good and new friends in MBA college, she studies really hard more than necessary. During this time she develops the habit of jogging every morning she stays late nights but yet she  wakes up really early in the morning and goes for jogging, she becomes really thing because of all these activities.

     This time she seems to be not satisfied with anything she starves for new thing to keep herself busy to not to think about vibhav. and when she does she feels an extreme pain inside , she tries killing herself multiple times , she stops going to college and ultimately she drops out of college.  Hers parents show her to different psychologists in mumbai but nothing seems to works finally they get to know about some mental health hospital in banglore and they admit her there. In mental hospital her doctor turns out to be the best in country and she opens up everything to him , she develops a very strong bond with her doctor and other patience in hospital, she fights really hard to get better. she wants to recover to her original self, she experiences the toughest times of her life during these months, finally she gets better and better with the help of her doctor and she leaves hospital but she doesn't want to rejoin MBA college instead she takes some courses in creative writing to become a writer to help other people...
This a story about life, courage
I finished this book just in a day, I did enjoy it a lot, it was really easy to read.



















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And Yet the Life Goes On

And Yet the Life Goes On I have been meaning to write for the last couple of months, but I never got the chance to do so. there is a lot of stuff I want to write about and I honestly do not know where to begin. Nevertheless, I am going to have to begin from somewhere, so here it is: In the last five months while I was working for Save the Children International, a lot of things happened. I got to meet with a lot of good and useful people; I had so much fun working with the FSL team in Andkhoy District of Faryab Province; I found so many good friends; I earned some money and I saved some for my higher education; I fell in love with a beautiful girl and got my heart broken by her; I traveled a lot and got to visit places that I had never before; I learned a lot of things from my supervisor M Alem Abrar, the kindest and the sweetest person in the world and at the end, I left it before even my contract was over.  Now I am with International Medical Corps in a new city far away from home. I

Last days with International Medical Corps-Afghanistan

 Last days with International Medical Corps-Afghanistan  So, these are my last days with IMC-Afghanistan. I joined IMC, at the beginning of July-2022. And I had intended to stay, at least for a year. However, turns out I was not going to stay in Sar-e-Pul city for long; fate had something different for me. I was able to be accepted into World Vision International-Afghanistan, as a Monitoring and Evaluation Officer in my own home city. The written test for the position was, like two months ago. I don't know why they took so much time to conduct their interviews. Since I was not able to attend the interview in person, I requested them if they would take my interview through Skype, and luckily they agreed. My interview went well, you know, like not really well, but well enough. It seemed that my co-applicants' were not as good as mine. A day after my interview I received a call from WVI-Afghanistan country office in Herat city. The guy, who introduced himself as HR Officer, told m

I am Still Here

  Frankly, I never thought I would be in Afghanistan even after three years of college graduation. By now I thought I'd be somewhere far off but sadly I am still here. I am not sure when I'd be able to leave. I am afraid if I stayed here for long I might not wanna leave. Plus I am getting older by each year. There is the matter of marriage also. I am not sure how much longer I can keep postponing it. I am not worried so much about the marriage though, still, it seems like I should start thinking about it. But then again marriage can wait but education can't.  I am thinking of starting my higher education online. With the Taliban and their unpredictable rules, getting a passport to travel abroad is not guaranteed. So online education is my only way forward. I am thinking of settling down here; if only I could find the right person. Marriage is a very tricky business, there is no margin for error. For now, I can start my online studies and after a year or two when I am close